Choosing a Toronto antiques provider is about finding someone who values beautiful heirlooms as much as you do. The right provider can offer you not only an exquisite selection of furniture and accents from a variety of sources, but also knowledgeable advice about the history of a piece and how to utilize it in your modern space. A decorative antique should stand out without looking out of place, and an antiques professional can help you achieve that elegant balance.
Variety of High-Class Items
When searching for antiques, one of your primary concerns will be variety. You need to find experts who cater to a range of tastes, so that you have a better chance of finding that piece you fall in love with and must have in your home. One way to do this is to visit a variety of antique shops and interior decorators, but that can take a lot of time. Instead, try a high-end Toronto antiques provider. You’ll find experts with access to English, French, and other European antiques, including:
• Period Lighting—Proper illumination is not only a utilitarian feature of a home. Choosing the right lighting pieces can completely transform a room. A well-designed European chandelier, in truth, can be the highlight of a room’s décor. Interesting items, like figural table lamps, also lend personality to your domain. Are you going for elegance? Wall sconces are a classy accessory that never goes out of style.
• Tables—Decorative tables are a wonderful piece to start with when buying antiques for your decorating project. Even smaller spaces benefit from the refined look of a table to organize your area. A gilt-wood console, for instance, is a timeless item that also creates space for displaying other accent pieces.
• Mirrors—Antique mirrors aren’t just for places where you get yourself ready. Well-crafted mirrors can be standalone accents that perform a variety of functions. With a well-placed mirror, you can make a small space look larger and more luxurious. You can also enhance the lighting of a room by having a mirror placed to reflect candle illumination.
• Decorative Accents—These are the extra touches—plaques, vases, clocks—that allow you to create a signature space in your home. Timeless pieces are versatile. Their relevance remains even when you repaint, remodel, or move to a new place.
When you’re dealing with a professional provider of luxury antiques, you’ll find all you need to steep your home in the heritage of fine décor. That’s because the best shops know where to go to find the gems—fine estates and the world’s top auction houses. You can find the best quality European items at stores selling period furniture and accents in Toronto.
Another detail to consider when choosing the right antique provider is which time periods they handle. If you’re only interested in one period, that’s fine. But, don’t disregard the idea of examining items from other periods. Mixing time periods can help you to create your personal look in your place.
Antiques don’t have to come off as snooty. You can really make them a part of your space and show your personality by contrasting modern and period pieces. People are eclectic, and you can reveal that in your abode while still pulling together a polished room. After all, each of us relates in some way to past eras and people who came before us.
Here are some of the most popular periods:
• Late 18th Century and 19th Century—This period boasts some of the most gorgeous and well-made furniture to date. French items from this time are especially sought after.
• Early 20th Century Art Deco—Art deco is a style that continues to be popular for furniture and other décor. It often features bright, bold patterns and some classical designs.
• Mid-20th Century Modern—You’ll know this style by its simpler lines and sleek features. Mid-century Modern brings easy sophistication to your territory.
The best shops have a wide array of beautiful items from multiple periods. Look for those that preserve the original character of a piece. Many items have a unique heritage, and that story is a wonderful part of the antique. However, the items furnishing your home should stand on their own, and that means gorgeous design and usability in addition to historical significance. Choose a provider who values history, beauty, and comfort.
Find some of the best antiques in Toronto at the Department of Interiors.