Fabric Stores in Toronto
If you demand the best when it comes to decorating your home then you’re going to want to read this.
If you’ve undertaken a décor project lately, you’ve probably noticed that Toronto has a wide selection of fabric stores. It can be difficult to decide which fabric store in Toronto is best for your drapery or upholstery needs. How do you sort out all your options? You look for these three marks of a superb store: selection, options, and quality.
Maximum Selection—Fabric Stores that Buy Directly
When you understand a little about how a place does business, it makes it easier to know who you want to do business with. A store can obtain its selections in a couple different ways. One way is to purchase through a sales representative or wholesaler. These places are essentially middlemen.
The more direct purchasing route is to buy interior fabrics from the textile mill itself. Buying directly from a mill provides several advantages to a fabric shop, which can then be passed on to you. For one thing, businesses save money when buying directly, and—you guessed it—this means the customer also saves money. However, the biggest advantage is that shops with direct buying power have access to a mill’s entire selection of fabrics, colors, and patterns.
When a store buys directly from the manufacturer, it is also able to provide another distinct advantage to its customers. They will often have the option to order customized designs. You simply cannot get this from shops that buy wholesale.
Take a look at a few of the ways you may be able to customize your fabric order:
- Color—The right shade truly is the essence of coordinating a room, isn’t it? When we look at various patterns and materials, we are always looking to tie together the colors in a particular space. Sometimes, that perfect complementary tone is not available at a showroom. When that happens, you need a high end retailer to find that subtle match you desire.
- Texture—Perhaps you found the perfect pattern to coordinate with your space, but the texture just isn’t right. In this case, a high quality décor provider will be able to order a custom selection with the same pattern in your preferred material.
- Pattern—The right provider of luxury drapery and upholstery will be able to offer you a preview of what your custom-ordered fabric will look like. When you are choosing the pattern to add to a piece of furniture or window treatment, you cannot be sure how it will look until you see it. And, this does not mean waiting until the piece is ordered and completed! Be sure you choose a reputable company that provides consultation in choosing patterns for various fabrics and uses.
Of course you want the best quality when shopping Toronto fabric stores. Finding superior materials to embellish your living space can be a challenge when so many places now sell cheap imitations. You’ll know you’ve found the right interior design partner when they stand by their quality and answer any questions you have about their options.
Don’t forget to consider these aspects of any upholstery or drapery materials when considering quality:
- Origin—To get the best in quality fabrics, you go to the best sources. At a luxury interior design store, you will find the latest in high end European fabrics. Again, shops that buy directly from European manufacturers will carry the newest designs well ahead of the competition.
- Weight—Unfortunately, a trend in many fabrics has been towards lighter weights. Typically, this reflects poor quality and lower thread counts. A thread count is a measurement of how tightly woven a material is (hint: the tighter, the better). However, it can be tricky to understand thread count numbers because heavier materials (such as wool) cannot be woven as tightly as those that are finer (like cotton). Your best bet is to talk to an expert you can trust regarding a good thread count for the drapery or upholstery you’re interested in. Also, keep in mind that some fabrics—such as satin or linen—are meant to be lightweight, and it is not a sign of poor quality.
- Durability—Related to weight, a fabric’s durability is another measure of quality. Well-made fabrics should last for years when properly cared for. A luxurious interior requires design that will look and feel as wonderful after years of use as it did the first day you bought it. This includes colors that hold up without fading.
Now you know what to look for. When it comes to your home, demand the best. After all, your home represents who you are and what you stand for.